Sunday, March 19, 2006

High School

Well, I continued to read "the beats" throughout high school, esp. Jack Kerouac. On the Road, Dharma Bums, etc. In fact, I named my band "The Subterraneans" after Kerouac's novel by the same name. Other than that I can't recall too much specific about spiritual pursuits, if any, in high school. Some of the bands after the Beatles broke open the rock and pop scene, referred to spiritual and seeker themes and that had an impact on me.
I think the next significant thing was Timothy Leary and the LSD thing. I think that may have been after high school, I'm not sure. But that was all about exploration of the mind and consciousness. The Tibetan Book of the Dead and all that. I was intensely interested in this. Since I lived in southern NH and was only 1 hour from Boston, I made frequent forays there by myself as well as with friends and became acquainted with the folk music, hippie and generally alternative culture there primarily in Cambridge, Harvard Square, etc.
I use to hang out at the Club 47 in Harvard Square (it's closed now). I remember seeing the Paul Butterfield Band, John Lee Hooker, the Chambers Brothers and others. Sometimes I couldn't afford to go in so we'd sit outside where they had french doors into the club and someone inside would crack the french doors open so we could hear until the club management got wise to it. This was the club where people like Bob Dylan and Joan Baez used to play before they got big.

No comments: