I took a bike ride today that was more than I bargained for both positively and negatively! I went looking for a bike path from Delaware Ave. at Normansville to New Scotland Rd. via the golf courses area. I didn't have high hopes of finding one. Not that I didn't know there is a way, there is, but I thought it might involve trespassing on posted property, the way things are these days. I went down delaware ave towards albany and dropped down to Normansville (the land that time forgot, as i am wont to say.) I crossed the old "closed" bridge and turned left to Normanskill farm. As it turns out there is a "hiking" trail through there to the "golf course". However there are 2 golf courses and I was assuming they were talking about Normanside which is closer but not really what would get me to New Scotland Ave. The trail starts out very mild and pleasant. Then it got into some fields and some good climbs. Fine. Just what i wanted, a good work out, so I pushed hard and got through with some huffin' and puffin' but I recover quickly. Then it descended back to the Normanskill river. After that it got ugly. The trail climbs rapidly and relentlessly out of the valley. up, up and more up. part of the trail was extremely steep with slick clay. also much of it overgrown with bushes hanging in the path. Then it goes along the golf course (watch out for stray golf balls!) Then there is a sign that says back to the normanskill farm or to the club house. I chose the club house thinki ng that i had enough of the hills to the farm and just wanted to finish the ride (i'm thinking Normanside which is nearby). This went downhill quite rapidly with some very narrow, overgrown steep and windy trails, most of which i just walked down. then a right turn to the club house. This was the fun part (not!) A nice wide doubletrack along a power line cut. steep ups and steep downs without end. I had no idea where i was. i had no idea that there was this much woods anywhere near albany and no idea where it would end. I was able to ride the downs but walked the uphills with rest breaks. I had passed my "fun" limit. Finally i got to the golf course and was thrilled to find it was Albany Hills course on the New Scotland side. So I found my legal path across the normanskill! the road ride from there to home was a piece of cake. I guess i will try it again. the worst part really was not having a clue where i was or when it would end. now i can plan for it (take it easy on the first few hills muscle-man ;-) and bring more water! See the map below. Map My Ride says 9.86 miles but that's as the crow flies and i am certainly not flying! My bike computer said 15.6 mi. and believe me some of those were mighty hard miles!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment