Wednesday, June 29, 2005

First records!

Most of the records we had around the house were old 78s that belonged to my parents. My dad had mostly opera, I remember Pagliaci (laugh, clown, laugh) and my mother had bobby soxer records. That's really all I listened to. I had records like "The Big Fat Policeman" and "Train Sounds" but nothing serious. The very first pop record I ever bought for myself was a 45 of "Some Kinda Earthquake" by Duane Eddy. I've heard since that it is the shortest pop song ever recorded, 1 minute and 45 seconds. It was short. My first 33-1/3 RPM albums I got for Christmas one year. I picked them out of the Sears catalog. Everything came from the Sears catalog. "Have Twangy Guitar Will Travel" by Duane Eddy, and album by Elvis (I don't remember the title but it had a picture of him in his army uniform and his arm patch said "Hell on Wheels") and an album by Fabian. That was the best I could do out of the Sears catalog that year. I also like Conway Twitty. The only vocal music I liked was Rockabilly and novelty songs by cool guys like Ray Stevens (Ahab the Arab [pronounced Ay'-hab the Ay'-rab]) not junk like "The Withdoctor" (ooh-eeh-ooh-ah-ah ting-tang walla-wall bing-bang) I cringe to even write that. STOOPID! It was mostly a bad period for vocal music 59 to early 60's before the English invasion. My favorite song of the genre was "All American Boy" by Bobby Bare, based on Elvis being drafted into the Army. I'll write the lyrics in the next post.

No comments: