Sunday, July 03, 2005

The Intruders and the Subterraneans

Eventually, we changed the Starfires 4 to the Intruders, I guess, just to differentiate ourselves from the original Starfires and Starfires 4 didn’t sound that great anyway. I remember when the Beatles first appeared on Ed Sullivan. We were rehearsing at Ray’s house and we watched it with Ray’s parents. I don’t’ remember the comments, I’m sure somebody said something about the hair and about Ringo but we just continued to practice.

I don’t know how the band dissolved, if it broke up, or I just quit and they continued on for awhile. I really don’t remember.

At any event, I went on to high school. Somewhere along the line I formed another band with my new friends. This one I named the Subterraneans after a novel by Jack Kerouac. There was me on my Epiphone Casino, Dick on crappy Acetone organ (he eventually got a B3) and Ralph on the bass (I taught Ralph to play the parts initially till he got going on his own). We eventually stole the drummer for a younger local band, the Penetrators. Steve was very good and besides he looked like Dave Clark!

We played high school dances and private parties and anything else we could get. We did Beatles, Stones, Yardbirds, all that stuff. We had no sound system, we ran the mics through the guitar amps.

No comments: