Friday, July 01, 2005

My first "real" guitar

... was an Epiphone Casino with a whammy bar. My Dad decided I was serious after I'd been dedicated for 2 years and taking lessons with Danny Rizzo. I bought from Danny on his recommendation. Brand new for $320 in 1964! I actually don't have a picture of it but I guess John Lennon had one. I know it's in a home video my Dad took. Someday if I can find it and digitize it I'll get a picture. I just sold it a couple years ago for $425.00. It was worth more except the finish was crazed and there was a headstock crack and a wear spot on the neck from where the plush on the case wore off. I liked it cause it was a semi-acoustic electric when everybody else had solid bodies. Also, it was more of a blues guitar like a 335 and I was into blues. The pickups weren't that great but you could get good feedback on it cause of the hollow body. I eventually got a Fender Dual-Showman too, the amp of my dreams! Blew one of 15" Jensens right away and the dealer replaced it with a JBL (that oughta hold him!). He wasn't too pleased.

No comments: